The Rice with Green Pigeon Peas is our traditional rice served during the Christmas Holidays. A well seasoned rice dish that is loaded with tropical flavors!
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) green pigeon peas with liquid
- ½ teaspoon salt (low sodium)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 minced garlic gloves
- 2 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 2 seasoning envelopes with coriander and annatto
- 3 tablespoons sofrito
- 3 fresh sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 10 pimento green-stuffed olives
- ½ cup to 1 cup lean diced ham
- 3 cups long-grain white rice
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Add all the ingredients except for the rice. Stir until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Bring the liquid to a boil. Add rice and stir rice well into liquid.
- Reduce heat to simmer when the liquid starts to boil again.
- Cover saucepan with tight-fitting lid. Simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Turn the rice. Insert a spoon to the bottom inside edge of the saucepan. Bring the bottom rice to the top.
- Place a banana leaf over rice (optional). Cover with lid and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove banana leaf. Serve with roasted pork shoulder (pernil) and pasteles (our version of tamales).
Some individuals prefer to prepare this dish with annatto oil then omit the seasoning envelopes with coriander and annatto. Visit food blogging post on how to prepare annatto oil.
- Category: Rice
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
Keywords: Rice with Green Pigeon Peas