A baked plantain meat pie, our tropical lasagna, that is both a delicious savory and sweet dish.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 4 to 6 ripe plantains, cut off ends
- 4 beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Lite salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1–1/2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 8 pimiento-stuffed green olives, cut in halves
- 2 tablespoons sofrito
- 2 seasoning envelopes of coriander and annatto
- Place ripe plantains on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 350°F.
- Peel plantain and cut each plantain lengthwise into 3 to 4 slices, about 1/4-inch thick. Set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients into a skillet (except cheese, ground turkey, baked plantain slices and beaten eggs) and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey. Coat the ground turkey with the tomato-oil based sauce. Cover with lid and cook for 5 minutes lover medium-low heat.
- After 5 minutes of cooking, stir meat frequently, breaking up any clumps, until you obtain a minced or chopped meat mixture.
- Cover with lid and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the meat filling in a bowl and set aside.
- Spray bottom of baking pan with olive oil. Pour half of the beaten eggs to cover bottom of baking pan.
- Layer with baked sliced plantains. Place meat filling and spread evenly on top of plantains.
- Sprinkle meat filling with shredded Gouda cheese and repeat with another layer of sliced baked plantains.
- Add the remaining meat mixture and spread evenly on top of sliced baked plantains.
- Cover meat mixture with another layer of sliced baked plantains.
- Pour the other half of beaten eggs.
- Cover the plantain meat pie completely with a layer of shredded Gouda cheese.
- Place in oven uncovered for 30 minutes at 350°F or until cheese has completely melted.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
I used an 11 X 7 X 1.5 baking pan.
- Category: Meat Pies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
Keywords: Plantain Meat Pies