An excellent high-protein soup prepared with Caribbean herbs, spices and vegetables and garnished with crumbled double fried green plantains!
- 1 pound of cooked dry black beans with liquid
- 2 tablespoons sofrito
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon adobo without salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt (low sodium)
- Pour cooked black beans with liquid into a large saucepan.
- Add the remaining ingredients to saucepan. Stir well.
- Simmer for 1 hour uncovered.
- Remove 2 cups of cooked dry black beans from saucepan into a small bowl.
- Mash the cooked black beans with a potato masher. Place the mashed black beans back into the black bean soup. Stir mashed beans well into the black bean soup.
- Simmer for an additional 30 minutes uncovered.
- Garnish with crumbled double fried green plantains, crackers or chopped onions.
Visit my food blogging website for recipe on how to prepare double fried green plantains. Use a mortal and pestle to mash the double fried green plantains.
- Category: Soups and Stews
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
Keywords: Black Bean Soup