The Breadfruit Flan is a dense creamy custard layered with a clear caramel sauce that is a palate pleasing dessert!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cooked mashed breadfruit
- Add one cup of sugar to a 1-quart saucepan over low heat.
- Melt sugar until it is completely caramelized and turns to a golden brown color.
- Pour caramelized sugar into a 9-inch round baking pan.
- With both hands and oven gloves on, swirl the caramel to coat the bottom and sides of baking pan. Set aside to harden.
- In an electric blender, add the ingredients for the breadfruit mixture.
- Beat at high speed until all the ingredients are well blended – approximately 40 seconds to 1 minute.
- Place the caramel lined-baking pan into the pancake oven pan.
- Pour the breadfruit mixture into the caramel-lined baking pan.
- Fill the gap between both baking pans with 2 cups of water.
- Place in oven at 350°F and bake for one hour.
- Insert a clean toothpick in the center of custard. If the toothpick comes out clean, the custard is done.
- Let cool and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, run a knife carefully around the inside edges of the baking pan to loosen the custard.
- Invert the custard onto a large plate.
- Serve with a cup of Puerto Rican coffee!
- Category: Desserts
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
Keywords: Breadfruit Flan