A moist, tender and fluffy tropical rice with green pigeon peas prepared in 4 minutes, using the Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3 sprigs chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 pimiento-stuffed green olive, cut in halves
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ½ cup lean ham (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sofrito
- 1 seasoning envelope with coriander and annatto
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cans (15 ounces) green pigeon peas with liquid
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- Read the entire User’s Manual before operating your Instant Pot.
- Rinse the rice.
- Press the Sauté button. Change the temperature to “Less.”
- Press the “Minus” button to change the sautéing time to 8 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients except for water, pigeon peas and rice. Stir until well blended and sauté for 8 minutes.
- Press “Cancel” button to stop the sautéing process.
- Add the remaining ingredients: water, pigeon peas and rice. Stir rice well into liquid.
- Cover pressure cooker with lid in lock position. Turn Steam Release Handle to the Sealing position.
- Select Pressure Cook button. Cook at High Pressure. Press the “Minus” button to decrease the time for 4 minutes.
- When pressure cooking is done, use natural release for 10 minutes. Press the Cancel button.
- Release the remaining pressure by turning the Steam Release Handle to Venting position for a Quick Release.
- Remove lid when the pressure is completely released and the float valve drops down.
- Stir rice and serve with your favorite meat if you so desire.
If you omit the liquid from the can of pigeon peas, then add 2 cups of water.
Visit my Website (aidaskitchenboricua.com) for the ingredients on how to create your own special blend of seasoning and how to prepare sofrito for a single meal. You will find the same information on Page 14 and Page 19 of my cookbook – Aida’s Kitchen a lo Boricua.
- Category: Rice and Grains
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican