The stewed salt cod is coated with a creamy eggplant full of Caribbean flavors and is prepared with fresh vegetables and herbs from Aida’s Garden!
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound salt cod, cooked and shredded
- 2 tablespoons sofrito
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 seasoning envelopes with coriander and annatto or 3 teaspoons of my own special blend of seasonings
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 sprigs cilantro, optional
- In a skillet, heat 1 cup of oil.
- Add sofrito, seasoning envelopes, minced garlic, tomato sauce and sliced onions. Stir well and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked shredded salt cod and chunks of eggplant to the skillet. Stir until the salt cod and eggplant chunks are completely coated with the tomato-oil based sauce.
- Cover saucepan with lid. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes of cooking, check to see if the chunks of eggplant are tender. If not, cover saucepan with lid and continue simmering for an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until the chunks of eggplants forms a smooth creamy texture.
- If the salt cod is coated with the creamy eggplant after 30 minutes of simmering, the stewed salt cod is ready to be served.
- Serve this dish with cooked white rice, steamed/boiled root vegetables or boiled breadfruit.
Visit website (aidaskitchenboricua.com) on how to prepare cooked white rice, steamed/boiled root vegetables or boiled breadfruit. Furthermore, you can also find the recipes for our sofrito and special blend of seasonings.
- Category: Fish and Seafood
- Method: Stewed
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican