A delicious bowl of homemade vegetables soup from fresh herbs and vegetables bursting with Caribbean flavors from Aida’s Garden!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 ajies dulces (sweet peppers), halved and seeded
- 3 sprig fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 fresh culantro leaves, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded or chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1 or 1½-inch chunks
- ½ cup cooked chick peas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 cup homemade canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (low sodium)
- 1½ teaspoons Special Blend of Seasoning or 1 seasoning envelope with coriander and annatto
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions, green peppers, ajíes dulces (sweet peppers), cilantro, culantro, zucchini, celery and cabbage. Sauté the herbs and vegetables for 5 or 10 minutes or until they are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots, potato, chick peas, canned diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, salt, and special blend of seasoning. Stir until the ingredients are well blended.
- Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce to heat to low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Cover saucepan with a lid.
- Remove lid and stir the soup. If the vegetables are tender, the soup is done. Otherwise, continue cooking the soup for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Click on the recipe section of this food blogging website for the ingredients to create your own Special Blend of Seasoning.
- Category: Soups and Stews
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
Keywords: Vegetable Soup