The Plantain Meat Pie (Piñón) is a dish containing layers of seasoned ground beef mixture, fried ripe plantains and beaten eggs. Traditionally, it is cooked in a skillet on top of the stove. Today, however, it is mainly prepared in a baking pan with layers of cheese similar to a “Lasagna” and baked for 40 minutes in the oven.
The ripe plantains add a sweet flavor to the seasoned meat mixture. To obtain the sweet taste of the meat mixture, I use very ripe plantains (when the peel turns black) for this recipe. I prefer to cook the Plantain Meat Pie (Piñón) in a skillet on top of the stove. In addition, my recipe is a healthier version because I use ground turkey and bake the ripe plantains. For this recipe, the baked slices of ripe plantain are used similar to wide strips of cooked pasta found in the Italian cuisine – Lasagna.
Let’s Prepare the Ripe Plantains!
Cut off the ends of the ripe plantains and slit skin lengthwise from top to bottom.
Try to use very ripe plantains (when the peel turns mainly black) for this recipe.
Arrange the plantains on a cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes (350°F) or until the plantains are caramelized. Let cool.
With a knife, cut each baked plantain lengthwise into 3 to 4 slices about ¼-inch thick. Arrange the plantain slices on a plate.
Let’s Prepare the Meat Mixture (Picadillo)!
Add the oregano and French Style string beans to the meat mixture.
Click on the link to learn on How to Prepare the Meat Filling (Picadillo). The Meat Filling recipe calls for lean ham. Omit the lean ham.
Stir until all the ingredients are well blended. Cook the entire meat mixture over medium-low heat for approximately 30 minutes.
Let’s Prepare the Last Component of the Plantain Meat Pie!
Beat 6 eggs until the whites and yolks are well blended. Set aside.
How to Use a Frittata Pan!
I love to use my frittata pan to prepare this dish. A frittata pan has two interlocking pans. You cook the Plantain Meat Pie on one side and invert the Plantain Meat Pie onto the other pan to cook the other side.
Here are the Three Components To Start Layering Our Dish!
The three (3) components are: Beaten eggs, Meat Mixture (Picadillo) and Baked Ripe Plantain Slices.
Let’s Start Preparing Our Plantain Meat Pie (Piñón)!
Grease bottom of skillet lightly with olive oil cooking spray. Pour half of the egg mixture onto skillet.
Layer with sliced baked ripe plantains.
Layer with meat mixture and spread evenly on top.
You continue this process with another layer of plantain slices, meat mixture and plantain slices.
Pour evenly the other half of beaten eggs on top of layered meat pie. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes over medium-low heat or until eggs become firm at the bottom.
When you can lift the egg mixture on the side of the pan, it is time to invert the Plantain Meat Pie onto the other skillet.
Lightly grease top skillet with olive oil cooking spray and place over bottom skillet. With both skillets interlocked, carefully invert Plantain Meat Pie onto the other skillet.
Continue cooking the other side of Plantain Meat Pie until the eggs become firm at the bottom, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
When the Plantain Meat Pie is done cooking, carefully slide the meat pie onto a large plate.
Cut individual slices and serve with your favorite Puerto Rican rice and beans.
Click on the button below to watch my YouTube video on How to Prepare Plantain Meat Pie!
Recipe and Nutritional Facts!
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. Please refer to our Nutritional Facts Disclaimer more information.Print
This dish is layered with seasoned ground turkey and baked ripe plantains for a sweet flavored meat pie!
- 6 large ripe plantains
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ teaspoon salt (low sodium) or to taste
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 2 seasoning envelopes with coriander and annatto
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons sofrito
- 1½ teaspoons capers, drained
- 8 pimento-stuffed green olives, halved
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) French style green beans, drained
Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- Cut end of Ripe Plantains and slit skin lengthwise. Arrange on cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour at 350°F. Let cool.
- Remove skin and cut lengthwise into 3 to 4 slices about ¼-inch thick.
- Add all the ingredients for the meat filling in a skillet. Stir well and cook for 30 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Beat eggs in a bowl.
- Lightly grease bottom of skillet with cooking spray. Pour half of egg mixture at the bottom of skillet.
- Layer with sliced plantains and meat mixture, starting with the plantains and ending with the plantains.
- Pour the other half of egg mixture on top of the plantains.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the eggs become firm at the bottom of skillet.
- Lightly grease the top skillet. Place on top of skillet containing the plantain meat pie. Carefully invert onto the other skillet.
- Cook for 15 to 30 minutes over medium-low heat or until eggs become firm.
- Run a knife carefully around the inside edges of the skillet to loosen the egg mixture.
- Invert Plantain Meat Pie onto a large plate.
I recommend to use a Frittata Pan to make this recipe.
- Category: Lunch and Dinner
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
Keywords: Plantain Meat Pie