These delicious and crispy golden Yuca Fries are steamed and air crisped using the Ninja Foodie Cooker. Once they are steamed, the Yuca chunks are then cut into fries and coated evenly with an oil mixture to begin the air crisping process. It only takes 10 minutes to air crisp the Yuca Fries. Steaming and air crisping the Yuca Fries are definitely a healthier version of preparing this dish without sacrificing its flavor and texture. Furthermore, you retain most of the nutritional value.
A Little Bit of Food History!
The Taíno Indians cultivated the yuca and prepared a flatbread known as casabe. The Spaniards were not fond of the casabe flatbread because it was not made of wheat flour. However, until another shipment of wheat flour arrived from Spain, they consumed the casabe flatbread.
Let’s Peel and Cut the Yuca!
This is a Yuca also referred to as Cassava. It usually measures 2 to 4 inches in diameter and 10 to 12 inches long with tapered ends. The Yuca has a hard dark brown rind and a firm white starchy flesh that has a stiff cord running lengthwise down the center of the Yuca.
Cut off both ends of the Yuca and then divide into 3 equal sections.
Peel the Yuca, cutting slightly into the white flesh.
Cut all 3 sections into halves lengthwise.
We Are Ready to Steam the Yuca!
Pour 2½ cups of water into the cooking pot. Insert reversible rack. Place the Yuca chunks the rack will hold. Cover unit with Pressure Lid and lock into position. Make sure the Pressure Release Valve is in the Vent Position.
Turn on power and select the Steam Program. There are no temperature setting for steaming. However, press the Time Button to set the cooking time for 17 minutes. Press the Start/Stop Button to begin the steaming process.
Note: The letters PRE will automatically appear on the LCD screen, which means the unit is preheating to bring the liquid to a boil. Once the liquid has reached the required temperature, the word BOIL will appear on the LCD screen. The steaming process will begin and the 17 minutes will start counting down.
After the steaming process is complete, the word DONE will appear and the unit will automatically switch to the WARM mode status. Press the KEEP WARM Button to cancel the warming process. Turn off the unit as well.
Make sure that the float valve is in the down position before you remove the lid from the unit.
Check the Yuca for tenderness with a fork. The Yuca chunks do not have to be very tender because they will be cooked again via air crisping.
Remove Inner Root and Cut into Fries!
Remove the stiff cord (also known as inner root) that runs lengthwise down the center of the Yuca with your hands.
With a knife, cut the Yuca portions into sticks (fries) to your desire thickness. Place in a bowl.
Let’s Prepare the Oil Mixture!
In a bowl, add 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, ⅛ teaspoon salt (low sodium) and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper. Stir well.
Optional: ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Pour the oil mixture over the Yuca fries and toss to coat them evenly.
Let’s Air Crisp the Yuca Fries!
Insert the Cook & Crisp Basket with attached diffuser into cooking pot. Arrange Yuca fries into basket.
Close Crisping Lid and turn on power. Turn dial to Air Crisp. The unit will automatically set the temperature to 390°F – which is the correct temperature to Air Crisp the Yuca fries. Press the Time Button and turn dial for 10 minutes cooking time. Press Start/Stop Button to begin the Air Crisp process.
The word DONE will appear on the LCD screen when the Air Crisping cycle is complete. Turn Off Power if Yuca fries are to your liking.
Note: You can also open the lid at mid cycle and toss the Yuca fries if you so desire.
These delicious and crispy Yuca fries are normally served with a dipping sauce. However, they are also very tasty without any dipping sauces.
Various Dipping Sauces: Ketchup, Mayo-Ketchup or Garlic-Oil Mixture. See recipe below.
Click on the button below to watch my YouTube video on How to Air Crisp Yuca Fries!
Nutritional Facts and Recipe!
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. Please refer to our Nutritional Facts Disclaimer for more information.Print
These delicious and crispy golden Yuca Fries are steamed and air crisped using the Deluxe Ninja Foodie Cooker! Steaming and air crisping the Yuca Fries are definitely a healthier version of preparing this dish without sacrificing its flavor and texture. Furthermore, you retain most of the nutritional value.
- 1 pound Yuca
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (low sodium)
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Cut both ends of Yuca. Cut Yuca into 3 sections and peel each section. Cut each section into halves.
- Pour 2½ cups of water into cooking pot. Place reversible rack in pot and arrange Yuca portions on top of rack.
- Cover unit with pressure lid into lock position. Make sure the pressure release valve is in venting position.
- Select STEAM and set time to 17 minutes. Press START/STOP button to begin the steaming process.
- When steaming is complete, make sure the float valve is in the down position before removing lid.
- Check the Yuca portions for tenderness. Remove the inner root that runs lengthwise in the center of Yuca. Cut into fries to your desire thickness.
- Mix marinating ingredients in bowl and stir well. Pour over Yuca fries and toss to coat them evenly with the marinade.
- Place Cook & Crisp Basket with diffuser attached in cooking pot.
- Arrange Yuca fries on top of Cook & Crisp Basket. Close the Crisp Lid.
- Select Air Crisp program. Press TEMP and turn START/STOP dial for 390°F. Press TIME and turn START/STOP dial for 10 mintues. Press START/STOP to begin cooking. You can lift lid and toss Yuca fries at any time during the air crisping cycle.
- Lift lid and remove Yuca fries when cooking time is complete. Turn off Unit.
Note: Cooking Time includes preheating cycle for cooking unit.
Mayoketchup Sauce: 3 tablespoons mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons ketchup.
Garlic Oil Mixture (Mojo Sauce): ½ cup olive oil, 4 garlic cloves minced, 2 teaspoons white vinegar, black pepper and salt to taste. Heat for 5 to 10 minutes over low heat.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
Keywords: Yuca Fries - Ninja Foodie Cooker